View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #1627
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Yes, I was hopelessly lost with many of the references, especially to playwrights, actors, etc. As a nerd-child growing up in the 80s, my taste in reading material ran mostly towards American science fiction, leaving me very out of touch. I was similarly confused by a piece a friend of mine did on the life of Alistair Cooke a few months back.

I did pick up quite a bit about England, pre-WWII, from the Dorothy Sayers novels. It seemed like such a romantic period to me. I went so far as to buy and read "Conundrums for the Long Week-End: England, Dorothy L. Sayers, and Lord Peter Wimsey" to flesh out my understanding.

I'm heading back to the USA for my next book -- Boom!, Tom Brokaw.
Completely missed your reply, Pie.
I'm a Sayers fan as well. And yes, even I have to look things up. Not meaning I am in some way superior, just that as stated before I have more of a connection to the era.

I've just taken an armful of books back to the library and of course not written a review for a single one of them. Still, I expect to be fined - I'm sure some must have been late - so I'll review them as and when the titles come through An expensive way of reviewing! Just so much has been happening IRL...