Thread: Virtual Forks
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #31
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

About opening the bar....

I've learned that it's prudent to keep the meeting url/code non public so we're not zoom-bombed (that's what the booze is for, eh?). I'm happy to host the meeting, there doesn't need to be only one meeting. In my experimentation I was able to be in two zoom meetings at the same time, one on my computer and one on my phone. It does require a certain agility, but doable.

As for the scheduling, I remember when the the cellar chat was active. People would drop in whenever, chat with whomever was present. The "announcing" such as it was consisted of a post in a thread (such as this one) and can easily be adapted for our purposes here to have that post followed up by a PM with the meeting code. Anyone can host, just say so, people will respond as they will.

This also brings to mind something brought up by Limey when we were comparing Zoom and Slack. One difference I have thought of since is that Slack is perfectly content to remain open but idle on my computer, signaling me only when there's a new message, but Zoom feels more like the main event, something that really requires continuous presence. They're complimentary, not completely competitive.