View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

RIAA crosses a line

I am sure that everyone is familiar with the RIAA's actions in the fight against "music piracy," actions such as shutting down Napster, copy-protected CDs which won't work in PC CD players, etc.

Like MANY people who swap music online, the whole reason I do it is to prescreen bands and music which are new to me... if I like a band's stuff, I go buy the CD. If I don't, I delete the file. So for me, and those who use p2p networks the way I do, online music swapping creates more CD sales. I have dozens of CDs I'd never have purchased if it weren't for my ability to give the songs a listen online.

I've kept an eye on the RIAA's activities as they sue p2p networks and big-time "music pirates," with mixed feelings about it. I can see their point of view, but they go too far much of the time, and they don't realize the long-term impact of being a perpetual asshole. Karma can be a harsh mistress.

Recently, the RIAA sued a teenaged college student because he wrote software called ChewPlastic that allowed students to search for and download files from inside the campus network. This software was used for dowloading papers, articles, research materials, and naturally it was used by students to swap music files as well. Because he couldn't afford the legal battle, the student settled, and the RIAA took his life savings. All of it. $12,000. This is a student whose heinous crime was writing search software for a network, he's not even accused of music piracy himself. Scary.

As far as I'm concerned, the RIAA went WAY too far this time. I have purchased my last large-label CD until I am satisfied that the RIAA has backed off. There were several CDs I planed to buy this week, and now I won't buy any of them. Dirty rotten bastards.

You can make a Paypal donation to help the kid get his life savings back.

And here is an interesting article on the whole thing, with an RIAA rep addressing questions posed by the Lehrer News hour and SlashDot readers.