View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Well, there was one big reason that most Americans don't even know about that may or may not be constitutional, but I believe is arguably valid and justified:

A short time before 9/11, Saddam Hussein suddenly stopped dealing his oil for dollars and began dealing in Euros. Other Middle Eastern countries were looking to follow. From this perspective, to say the war was for oil may be correct but it's not about the profits or implied corporate kickbacks in that oil--it's about the fact that our entire currency is largely based on oil, and to take that away could VERY easily mean the collapse of the US dollar.

I do personally believe 9/11 was an excuse--to take moves ultimately designed to keep us out of another Great Depression. But I think the average American doesn't understand the intricacies of world economics, and it was an excuse the average person could wrap their head around.

We have a large body of evidence showing that we knew Pearl Harbor was going to be bombed in time to stop it, but allowed it to happen so we'd have a publicly acceptable excuse to join the war. Few people now believe that we should have stayed out of WWII, but at the time it would not have gone over well to just jump into the fray. In 75 years, we may also learn that we had the information suggesting that 9/11 was going to happen and we let it happen so we'd have that excuse. I wouldn't be surprised, but I also wouldn't necessarily be angry (assuming I'm still alive.) I personally like having a strong currency, and do not want my children to grow up during another Depression.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote