View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Ibby
erika

October 27, 2012 - Hong Kong Streetscapes

Presented at least as much as nostalgia - I lived in Hong Kong for a year, my third-grade year of elementary school - as out of artistic appreciation of the photography.

Hong Kong, via Brian Yen

I'll admit it, i'm a sucker for long-exposure urban photography, and a sucker for east asian urban photography. Not the most edifying IOTD i've posted but I wanted to show a bit of Hong Kong urban beauty. Reminds me both of my time in Hong Kong and of my time in Taiwan. I love the geopolitical implications of the dual-language signage, the obvious western colonialist connotations of the mixed-language street signage, the deeply nostalgic double-decker busses in Hong Kong...
I wish I could name the streets photographed, but it's been SO long since I've lived there, I'm afraid I can't name the locales.
I personally like IOTD's informative and educationary possibilities, which is why I tend to post IOTDs of geographic, culturo-historical, and/or artistic sensibility. This one is almost all artistic, while being sadly almost entirely devoid of culture and educatory content. Even still, I like the photography and feel it's worth sharing with the community.