Thread: Hollandaise
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #17
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
I am a woman and I love me some hollandaise. Of course, I also have to be careful how much of it I eat.
You've noticed how unabashedly the guys will scarf the meat and the cheese and potatoes, while the gals eat a lot of salad.

I've several ideas why this might be, though I'm not at all sure about any of them:

A) Both self- and peer-discipline to keep a youthful figure and attract the male eye because men are very visual creatures. Humans don't scent estrus, so that's out... we're all eyes to start with, and social/communicative cues added in later. I'm told women are less completely visual-oriented, so the fellas don't have the same pressure to stay slim, trim, and racy... as long as they have the capacity to be the things the women are looking for. But this is a whole 'nother thread right here. (And I keep adding clauses.) {Like that one.}
B) Long endurance in exertion and lower calorie output from just plain metabolism. Girls may have a lower power output than guys, but guys collapse sooner, needing some rest to revive. While the guys are going, they can go powerfully, but don't have quite the endurance. There's suggestion that female metabolism is more efficient, and that this is why women live longer. Anyway, less need to snap up a whole bunch of fuel right off.
C) Women enjoy folate-rich foodstuffs more than men. This would probably take a blindfolded taste test experiment to prove in any measurable way, but a little probing for anecdotal accounts to see if this might become a tenable hypothesis would be a start.