View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #235
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Mum on the phone, telling someone (else!) about the recent trouble with my niece. When talking about the taxi driver that brought her home 20 miles through heavy snow on the promise of payment at the other end she said, "And he wouldn't even take any extra money! And he was a Muslim!"

I know she tries.
Bless her. So many people are willing to shout from the roof tops the second a muslim is less than friendly/respectful. Or even when theyhave third or fourth hand stories of muslims who have been less than friendly or respectful. It's nice to hear someone doing the opposite.

I have a friend (Jill) who is a lovely lass, good working-class values etc. Little bit racist :P Not in a nasty way: she'd never be vile to anyone and gets on very well with several asian people in the area, including one old man who comes to the pensioner's group she runs. She was telling me about her niece's baby who was born on Christmas eve majorly premature, teeny tiny thing. Parents can't touch him yet. She was expecting to see it mentioned in the Courier (local rag). But no. Wasn't there. Oh but they had mentioned another boy who was born that evening, also premature but nowhere near as early. 'Oh yeah,' she says, with a knowing look, 'They mentioned the Asian baby'.

*shakes head* Like it;s some kind of conspiracy.

She's also convinced that if an Asian walks into the benefits agency they'll be set up faster and better. That if they go to the housing office they'll jump the queue and be given a big house.

Bless her though, she's stopped saying paki when I'm there :P

Last edited by DanaC; 01-09-2010 at 01:57 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote