View Single Post
Old 05-24-2001, 08:24 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

You make a very important point, tw. There has been a lot of talk recently about the GOP reaching out to libertarians. The problem Republicans have is that they are every bit as addicted to pork and subsidy (not to mention the police state) as their Democratic rivals. Libertarians won't sign on to that. Neither party is interested in market driven solutions, unless they are driving the market. I'll have to look for that article, if I can get into town before that issue is off the newstand. (are they on-line?)

Subsidies come in many forms, everything from dead Iraqis, to aircraft carriers, to nuclear waste disposal sites. Wouldn't a little transparency be refreshing?

The MBA's at the power company, inadequate journalism, uninformed consumerism, along with short-sighted self-serving legislators, and Luddites in the enviromental movement all bear some responsibility for Californias problems. You can measure out the blame as you wish but they are all guilty. I think I could write a very pleasurable anti- baby boomer rant here tying this whole thing together with some glittering generalities fomenting intergenerational conflict, but I'll save that joy for later.

tw, I'd appeciate any further clarity you can give to the subsidy issue. If we are going to create new public policy in the energy area (however much I loathe the idea) we need to at least know the price.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote