View Single Post
Old 06-18-2003, 04:44 PM   #11
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly
If there were any possible way whatsoever to do this, you can bet some 14-year-old wizard would have found it before Orrin Hatch did.
I think the point is that the RIAA wants to buy legislation to require copy-protection measures to be included with all new computers, and among those measures could be the ability to render the computer useless. And/or they want protection from lawsuits if they develop worms that will destroy data and OSes on machines which contain music files which they deem to be "pirated."

Even scarier than the ability to do it is that they won't be liable for damages. "Oh, you bought that CD, and just ripped the tracks to listen to them on a portable player, and never swapped them with anybody? Well, shucks. That's too durn bad. Hayuck! Have fun reinstalling everything, and thank you for supporting the RIAA!" I have about 12 gigs of music I have on the PC just for my own listening pleasure, I ripped it all from CDs I own, and share it with no one. But wold I be a target? You bet.

I hate those dirty rotten fucktards.