View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #314
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

We have a winner in the Presidential race (to see which coronavirus-denying head of state contracts COVID-19 first).

Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus

Quote:
The Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, has announced live on television he has tested positive for coronavirus.

“It came back positive,” a mask-wearing Bolsonaro told a hand-picked group of reporters on Tuesday lunchtime outside his official residence.

“There’s no reason for fear. That’s life,” the president added. “Life goes on. I thank God for my life and the role I’ve been given to decide the future of this great nation that is called Brazil.”

Bolsonaro, 65, has repeatedly trivialized the pandemic and flouted social distancing, even as Brazil became the second-worst-hit country after the United States, with more than 65,000 deaths and 1.6m confirmed cases.

In March, as Covid-19 claimed its first victims in Brazil, the far-right populist used an address to the nation to brag that, if infected, he would quickly shake off the illness thanks to his “athlete’s background”.

Since then, Bolsonaro has continued to attend social events and political rallies, often wearing masks incorrectly, or not wearing them at all.
The virus is not "sneaky" or "evil" or sensate in any way. It's more like a relentless machine or a fire that continues to move in all directions at once, reproducing and consuming *people* when migrating onward. Bolsonaro is just the newest log on the fire.