View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #50
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'm curious if I have to look for a certain frequency phone to avoid interference with the wireless router. I looked at the wireless router for information on the frequency it uses, but could find none.
The frequencies are FCC assigned and per industry standards. 802.11G uses 2.4 Ghz which is also used by so many if not most electronics wireless devices (including portable phones, Bluetooth, and even remote weather monitors). That frequency is also used by microwave ovens.

What frequency will you router use? Well, negotiations determine that. If router and computer are 802.11N, then both may use 5 Ghz. Or may use 2.4 Ghz.

Problem is so few channels in so few ISM bands shared by so many wireless devices. Good news. All those devices are designed to use same frequency and work fine.

What is important? Waste no time with nonsense such as 'five bars'. Useful information is in numbers such as signal to noise ratios measured in dBs. Many other devices on the same frequency simply reduce that S/N ratio. Only then does anyone really know whether the device is and will be reliable.

Your father used his portable to measure signal strength? Then what were the dB numbers? Again, '5 bars' is one or two steps above useless.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote