Thread: Armed America
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #145
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Having never been mugged or raped, I can only surmise that I've done a very good job of non-violently resolving the conflict by not putting myself in that position in the first place.
  1. Easy comment to make if you're a male... if not, I apologize
  2. I'll bet many rape/mugging victims thought that... right up until the time they were raped/mugged.
  3. Perhaps you live a life where you don't HAVE to travel in areas where muggings and rapes are more common. Not all of us are so lucky.

Quote:
Carrying a gun and shooting someone who you think is going to mug or rape you (because it's too late if they've already started the act, isn't it?) is not the only method you can use to not be mugged or raped.
From everything I have read, guns are more often used in self-defense by simply being seen. If someone is approaching you and you see them coming, the sensible thing is to run. If they chase, then you draw the weapon and, as I understand it, more often than not, they then flee. Even if they have a gun, they usually don't want to get into a gunfight anymore than the potential victim.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote