View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

What first brought you to the coffeeless coffee shop?

Had a quick scan of the archives and couldn't immediately see anything relating to this - mind you, I can hardly see what it is I'm typing...

Assuming I am right, what event or reason brought all you various people that make up this community to come here in the first place?

In my case, it happened because I cycled into Amiens, France, on the way back from an eventful solo ride from there to Paris and back in the summer of 2005, only to find that all cars and other vehicles, bar cycles, were being refused entry into the city centre. I was waved through.

Descending the hill, I noticed a strange object in the distance - a large, wooden bullet-shaped object, its nose buried in the now broken sidewalk, and steam emitting from its base. It had portholes - it was some kind of rocket which had apparently crash-landed. Nothing else around, just the rocket.

But then I heard people shouting and and the occasional noise of music in the distance along the road to my left. I cycled towards it and was confronted by a crowd watching a 40 foot high elephant being manoeuvred by men in red tunics and tricorn hats on tractors, or sitting alongside its legs. And in front of the elephant a 15 foot high girl also being manoeuvred by similarly dressed men, only these ones were pulling and slackening ropes to provide her with movement - these strange large creatures were giant puppets!

It was fascinating. I took loads of photos. Then, when I returned home, I wanted to find out more about this strange entertainment. So I searched the web, and, lo and behold, I discovered entries about this very extravaganza from people with the strange sounding names of Undertoad and Bargalunan. I had found the Cellar!

I was keen to know more so I signed up and became involved with the community. So that's how I joined. The entry I found from my search is here

So what first brought you to this place?