View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #173
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Why? How? WTf is this man doing at the forefront of politics? I mean....I am assuming he isn't as thick as he appears to be (roughly the thickness of two short planks) ... because that really would be scary.
Well I'll say it, since I find it unlikely anyone else will: Cain is in the forefront at this exact moment in time because he is black. It's the same reason John McCain chose a female running mate back in 2008. Because you have to have something to counter the people who vote purely on idealism--both the racists who would vote against him no matter what, as well as the symbolists who would vote for him no matter what in order to ensure we finally got our first African-American president.

If the Republicans run a black guy, maybe they can head off at the pass all the people who would vote for the black guy over the white guy no matter what. If the Republicans run a black guy, then the marginally racist members of the base can make the effort to vote for him to prove that 'some of their best friends (candidates) are black.' The best way for everyone to show that race has nothing to do with anything, is to run a candidate of a matching race. If Hilary Clinton had won the democratic primary and then the presidency, then Bachmann or Palin or someone else with a uterus would be polling with undeservedly high numbers right now instead.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote