Thread: Bush the doof
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2001, 03:20 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Frontline last night had a two-hour summary of the Clinton era and it was fascinating. Lest we forget, that "left-wing press" had a TON of things to get riled about in the early days of the Clinton-elect era, and did. Including a longer and harder wail about a cabinet appointee who harbored an illegal alien. Remember Zoe Baird?

The attention paid to Ashcroft has been heightened because it's been slow news days. All of the "news" is about whether he'll be confirmed (of course he will) and none about what a major-league asshole he really is. I think the press is being lenient here!

I can respect that the system isn't perfect. But the system is really poor right now -- typical political wiggling is happening. He wouldn't take Specter because Specter is really aging poorly, AND they don't want to do anything that might have the result of putting the Senate in the D's hands again. They have that 50-50 split with the VP breaking the tie right now, and keeping that in place is dead critical.

I go for Salon's nomination, US Gov. Gary Johnson, for Drug Czar. Now THAT would be a helluva pick... gutsy, honest, correct... that we will never see in a zillion years.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote