Thread: FOUR MORE YEARS
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Nah, Obama was the more centrist, he won. Mitt lost because he was disconnected from reality, said crazy shit, and didn't seem trust-worthy. If the GOP figures out how to put up middle right candidates (Huntsman) they'll get their mojo back. I'm guessing they'll double down on crazy in four years, so if Hillary continues to do a nice job...

Anyway, I'm not so much happy that Obama won as Mitt lost. Unfortunately its ideology first for the House Republicans so expect a bumpy ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I'm pleased that Obama won, and doubly pleased that he won the popular vote too. But I think it's a mistake to assume there is a liberal mandate. The vote nationwide is apparently 50.1% to 48.4%. That's close, and is not a mandate.

But it's clear that there is some serious work ahead with the fiscal cliff fast approaching, and both parties need to work together. That's something all Americans want government to do. There's going to have to be some compromises from both sides to get this done. And I'm mostly looking at the Republicans, because they have been unwilling to compromise at all on anything.
Agreed.

It will be very interesting to see what Republicans do from here. It seems that half the party will want to become more moderate (Huntsman, Christie, etc.) while the other half will want to double down and head further to the right. Biden mentioned earlier that he knows of at least 10 Republicans that will be willing to work with a second term Obama.

An Obama's second term now forces these two factions fight it out since they cannot unite against him. Hopefully the moderates will win but I could see the crazies controlling for another 2-8 years depending on how external factors play out. This election was Republicans to lose and their bets were completely wrong. Hopefully they will wake up realize that their path will only cause Democrats to get stronger and stronger solely due to demographics

Socially liberal and economically centrist is the politics of the future. The quicker Republicans can jump on board that train the better for them and the country.