View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #431
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dueling thugs.

I deal with thugs every day people. Guy comes in with his posse and he has put down $30 in a layaway on a camcorder. Then he says, he bought the same camcorder somewhere else and would like his $30 back.

But it doesn't work like that - a layaway is painful for us, because it means we can't sell the item and have to just sit on it for 90 days, and we have to track the item carefully, etc.

So we don't just give people their money back. We give them store credit. So his buddy, on his behalf, starts going off and getting really loud, saying shit like "Now you got a problem, I ain't leaving this shop until we see $30 and you can call the cops if you want." Being vaguely threatening, you know.

His friends are now trying to calm him down because they don't want any shit, but at the same time they're all complaining, they don't want anything in the shop.

Now another pair of gentlemen come in with a Toshiba laptop. They've stolen it. I tell you, after a while you know what's stolen and who's stealing. Every day I see it. Thugs. This pair offers up the reason why they are selling the laptop today: "Tired of it."

But now, you know, there's a new dynamic in the shop. Thug group #1 wants to continue to cause trouble. But thug group #2 prevents this, because they are motivated to do business. This immediately causes group #1 to settle down and my co-worker sells them on the idea of getting some video games for their store credit while I take my good old time buying in the laptop.

Fuckin' thugs. I am so tired of these fuckin' thugs.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote