View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #71
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

While I do not believe Syria or Iran is dumb enough to retaliate against a US/French attack, this article shows the military buildup around Syria right now.

Quote:
While the United States is ready to strike a handful of targets on the ground in Syria, any international conflict there will take place on a much larger stage. The entire region is full of a witches' brew of military hardware from more than half a dozen nations with interests in the Syrian conflict.

The United States and France are prepared to strike the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad from the Mediterranean Sea and a ring of air bases surrounding Syria. Meanwhile, three of America's most powerful military allies -- Britain, Turkey, and Israel -- are publicly staying on the sidelines, albeit with their militaries primed to defend against any Syrian counterattack. Then there are Assad's friends, Russia and Iran, both of which have military personnel on the ground in Syria.

Here's a look at the mix of military forces facing Assad -- and each other -- in and around the Levant.

http://killerapps.foreignpolicy.com/...yrias_doorstep