Thread: loose tea
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

as I understand it, to make "proper tea", you need one heaping tsp loose tea to one cup hot water.

Place loose tea leaves into a warmed teakettle, pour warmed water over and let steep, strain and serve.

Seems simple, right? Nope.

It also appears that the type of tea depends on the temperature of the steep. Oolong teas should simmer at 200 deg F, green teas need 180 deg. Irish and English teas should steep at a full boil.

And that's not all! Time is important, too. Black tea should soak for 3 to 5 minutes. Oolong tea should soak for 4 to 7 minutes. Green Tea should soak for 2 to 3 minutes.

I learned more than I ever wanted to know about tea by asking a tea nut. She also expounded on the shape of the pot, serving etiquette, the value of tea balls versus simple straining, bottled water vs tap water, location for tea, frame of mind and the list went on for long time before I begged off and scrammed before brain implosion set in.

Alton Brown does a show on tea here on Youtube. I'd post the video but I forget how.

I hope this helps a bit, even though it doesn't really answer the original question.

Brian