View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 01:01 AM   #13
InkEye
Questionist

Skeptic? So am I... BUT...

Let me tell ya... I'm a pretty big skeptic of most things, but I have an aunt who really uses these ear candles as her son has had frequent ear problems in the past (infections).

It looks silly, it doesn't seem possible, and you think it must be the wax from the candle.

But don't knock it until you've tried it. The experience is really different. The first time you do it, the candle removes SO much crap from your ears, most of it an ear-wax colored powder, with some longer strips of gooie wax. I mean a ton of it comes out.

So you think, well it can't be ear wax. Do another candle, same ear, you get significantly less crud. Oh, and all the while you can hear the "thoop" sound, and feel the junk just oozing up and out; it almost itches as it moves. You can even feel the heat of the air coming down your ear though the flame of the candle is a good foot or two away from your head.

I could give you a hundred stories about it, but the most convincing was with my own mom, as she is notoriously hard of hearing. After a couple of ear candles in ONE ear... my aunt said she had never seen so much crap come out of anyone's ear.

I really don't know what to think now. Why it'd be a scam I don't know since my aunt doesn't charge a penny for doing this. And it's hard to say it's not ear wax because the candle wax is usually either a purple or blue color and generally doesn't run when burnt, but the ear wax is almost always the same shade of yellow-orange.
InkEye is offline   Reply With Quote