View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #23
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Firefighters rescue couple after hornets nest fell through ceiling

Firefighters say they launched rescue after a large nest containing more than one hundred hornets crashed through the ceiling

Quote:
A couple were forced to escape through their bedroom window after a nest of giant hornets crashed through their ceiling.

The householders barricaded themselves behind a makeshift shelter as the angry swarm of yellow-and-black striped hornets invaded their home. Firefighters who went to their rescue said a large nest containing more than one hundred hornets had crashed through the ceiling.

"The weight of the nest in the attic caused it to crash through the ceiling into the hallway of the house in Maidenhead," said a Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman.

"Scores of hornets were released into the house and the couple locked themselves in their bedroom and called the fire service. The Slough crew arrived at around 11.30pm and helped the pair escape down a ladder from the bedroom window.

"A pest control company was due to visit the home today, and the couple are staying with friends. The weight of the nest brought it through the property's second-floor ceiling, filling the upstairs with angry hornets and trapping the pair in their bedroom. Firefighters used a ladder to rescue the couple from their room."
Daily Telegraph.

I've only ever knowingly seen a Hornet on a couple of occasions.

A few years ago I was looking after some horses and was checking over a brood mare for lumps, bumps, cuts etc, when I noticed a hornet under her belly.

In those circumstances they often attempt to rid themselves of the offender by bringing up a hind hoof to kick it away. Alternatively, they'll make a run for it and flatten you in the process.

Now, I'm not the most athletic of blokes, but being tall and on the thin side it does enable me to remove myself from the scene PDQ. Accordingly I put considerable distance between me and the mare in an impressively short space of time.

There is no point in becoming older if you don't become any wiser.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote