Thread: 'F' the FCC
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie

Stern wasn't censored - Clear Channel just dropped his show. Stern's loving the publicity so don't feel sorry for him. Much fuss over nothing. 6 months from now, it will have blown over.

actually, his own station and their afiliates censor him regularly by hitting the "dump" button. And I wouldn;t be so sure about this "blowing over" either. It might, but, then again, it might be the beginning of the end of free speech as we know it. If they can trim a video because a 10 yr old says "wine", and they can take "where the wild things are " off of school bookshelves, what's next? It is the squeaky wheel syndrome. The righteous religious wackadoos get together, sign petitions, and the FCC HAS to do something about it. There is no orginization set up to defend censored or pressured entertainers and artists. And, they're not offended by the 'lack' of "immoral" content, so they are not heard from. Freedom of speech should be absolute. I know many of you will want to reply that it is illegal to yell "FIRE!" in a movie theatre, and you're right. That's differnet. That's inciting a riot, or reckless endangerment.

My point of view is that there should be ZERO censorship. If people want to avoid watching things on TV and hearing things on the radio that are offensive to them, they are welcome to tune into a station that caters to this imaginary ground swell of people that are sick and tired of all of the foul language and sex. If there is as high a demand for this squeaky clean entertainment as Mike Medved says, then I'm sure it will be marketable, and they'll have no problem selling their product by espousing those beliefs and assuring their viewers of clean content. the FCC needs to back the fuck up, and worry about potentially dangerous misleading medical reports, and fake studies.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote