Thread: Camping
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #401
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
I used to gather tinder and stuff it in a water tight bag for the morning fire. One of those $3 fireplace logs from Walmart works even better. Chip pieces off. They sell it in a pack of finger sized sticks if pressed for room. Down here I gather pine straw for the tinder. By the time I am ready to cook the pine ash has disintegrated.
It wasn't the tinder, sadly. I got that lit a couple times and it burned for a few minutes, but the wood itself just WOULDN'T light! I'll have to check out the fireplace logs. I was thinking of trying to make my own firestarter, too. Cause, why not

This is my last official camping trip. I'm cancelling the one I have to back pack into. It's not far, but the more I think about it, the more I am dreading it. I am not excited, so why do it? I'm thinking of hitting it on my way to the airbnb I am staying at for gorges state park. If I had someone to do it with, that would be different.

For the past weekend, though, I had a lovely time. I read and had a fire. That was IT. It was just what I needed. No hiking, just relaxing. I have some pictures on my phone, I just need to get the uploaded so I can download and attach I actually cooked food! It was great!!

I also had a weird thing happened. I bought a new sleeping bag a while back, but hadn't tried it until this weekend. I used it (probably too soon) and noticed the next morning the outer shell was wet as was my air mattress. Is it like pulling my sweat away and out? Should I be concerned? Should I put something on the air mattress to protect it?