View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 01:46 PM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

But wouldn't it be cool to be able to understand bits of The Passion without the subtitles? That's useful, isn't it?

I've been wanting to learn Ancient (not New Testament) Greek for a while, but have been thwarted by the lack of colleges offering such a thing. Also, It's something that I want to do, but don't really want to have to make massive adjustments in my schedule to accomplish. I have several "teach yourself ancient greek" books, but I stall somewhere around chapter three or so. I work better when I have a more structured environment and the feedback of a live teacher, particularly for something like language acquisition.

And yes, it has occurred to me that I could/should pursue education in some language of practical usefulness, like Spanish. There is a fairly large Spanish-speaking population in the area, and it might come in handy at work, however, doing such an thing violates my belief that "you're in America, speak American dammit!"

A refresher in German would probably not hurt me much, though. Reading Stern is a lot more of a struggle than it used to be.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote