View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I think the arguments about the second amendment are a distraction from more important issues.

As I read it the second amendment is intended to create a balance of power between the government and the general population. As Queequeger points out, lightly armed militia could not realistically fight the US military in anything except guerrilla warfare. If the US government were to slide into a dictatorship, a guerrilla campaign would merely give them the excuse to be even more tyrannical.

Looking back at US history, it seems to me that the citizens are more able to struggle against the government through non-violent political protests and activism (eg civil rights, anti-war movements). These are based on freedom of expression, freedom of association, access to information, and a certain amount of privacy from the government. These rights are more important than guns. They should be protected. It seems to me that they are being whittled down, especially the right to access information about government, and privacy for the citizens.

Keep your guns if you like, but they won't do you much good if the government knows more about you than you know about it. But while you're busy arguing about the guns, what else is the government quietly doing behind the scenes?