View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #67
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Glatt you really should read the articles you post. The cow was affected with ATYPICAL BSE a form that occurs spontaneously in cows and human beings but is not the type that can be infectious to animals or humans. It is not a zoonose.
Huh. There it is, in paragraph 12. I admit I didn't see that. I'm not familiar with spontaneously occurring BSE. I'd like to know more about that. If BSE can just appear out of nowhere, then that is a risk that can't be minimized.

Quote:
"The USDA tests about 40,000 cows a year."
I saw that and ignored it. It's a meaningless number without also providing the total number of animals slaughtered each year, especially older animals. It's worse than a meaningless number. It's cheesy marketing. It sounds like a big number and is there simply to try to sway the unthinking reader into assuming the testing is rigorous and that most beef is tested. It is not. it was probably provided by the beef industry.

Quote:
This cow was not a downer cow it was DEAD.
same difference. The point being that both downer cows and dead cows don't go into the human food supply. But before they reach that state, they do.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote