View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #53
Grismar
Viewer of the Image

Don't feed the troll (dogs or otherwise)

And a troll he is, because there was no good reason to get angry. The joke that was made was that any dog, all alone without its owner stands a fair chance of being turned into a snack, in a country like China.

Not all Asians have to eat dogs for this to be a clear and present danger, so the joke in no way implied anything about -all- Asians (or all Chinese for that matter). There's just a sufficient number of Chinese that do eat them to warrant the joke. The joke wasn't even about the Asians. It was about people going all teary-eyed over this cute pet, jerking them back into harsh reality with the most bleak statement you could possibly make about the dog, which you may or may not think is funny. That's humour for you.

Also, for someone who proudly announces that his country of origin has cockfighting for a national sport (what is it anyway, the Philippines? Thailand? Cambodia?) you sure do get riled up over eating dogs. I would assume anyone with such an utter disrespect for animals would make a recipe suggestion sooner than get all fiery about it.

Anyway, anyone know any jokes about Asian folk lacking a complete sense of humour, or are we dealing with a singularly humourless specimen here? Alternatively, Fresh, perhaps you want to allude to my being under the influence of drugs (I do live near Amsterdam) or suggest some horrible STD is affecting my judgement (we did legalize prostitution). Perhaps it's something in the cheese, or did my head get hit by a windmill? Or did you actually learn something and do you realize that you making jokes about a stereotype about my society doesn't really have to affect me personally, unless it's actually right on the mark?
Grismar is offline   Reply With Quote