View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
PizzaMonkey
Will my Title ever stop changing? Oh, I guess it has now...

Using disturbing images to get your point across is - well - pointless...

There is a story in Stephen King's Four Past Midnight in which the protagonist walks into the children's section of the library and finds a poster of a small boy being pulled into a car by a shady looking guy, and he is screaming for help. Then there's some tagline at the bottom of the poster about not accepting candy from strangers. The man in the library wonders if that was really a good way to get your point across. I'd have to say effective, yes, good, no.

We should do something about "the ills plaguing society," I agree, but using this "shock technique", we are doing little more than subjecting people to things they don't want to see.

Over here in the US, we don't see a lot of shock ads, but we get some. There is one in particular that shows a baby sleeping in a crib, and Brahm's Lullaby is playing. Then all of a sudden, we hear sounds of slapping, abusive language, et cetera as the lullaby slowly "falls apart". It made me think less of how horrible domestic violence is, and more of how disturbingly creepy the ad was.

Last edited by PizzaMonkey; 06-28-2006 at 08:11 PM.
PizzaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote