View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

See, Clod, I am sentimental. Maybe not over the same things as the general public (gawdblessem), but sentimental all the same.

The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard is one of my favourite books.
It details his trip to the Antarctic with Scott, although it primarily focuses on the side-trip he took whilst there with Birdie Bowers and Wilson to the nesting ground of the Emperor penguins, who only hatch their eggs in the deepest, darkest, coldest depths of the Antarctic Winter. They went to obtain eggs/ embryos to further research into the study of evolution. They hoped to be able to prove a link between dinosaurs and birds.

And he came back, a survivor riddled with guilt.
So he sat alone in the Natural History Museum, waiting to have his precious eggs accepted. Eggs he and two other men were close to death to attain. And those two other men died on the subsequent push to the Pole (they were selected, he was turned back at the final point and was very sorry about it).
And he was treated as an inconvenience.

I've quoted this before.
I know I will again.
I hope it helps explain my obsession.

"There are many reasons which send men to the Poles, and the Intellectual Force uses them all. But the desire for knowledge for its own sake is the one which really counts and there is no field for the collection of knowledge which at the present time can be compared to the Antarctic.

Exploration is the physical expression of the Intellectual Passion.

And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physical expression, go out and explore. If you are a brave man, you will do nothing: if you are fearful you may do much, for none but cowards have need to prove their bravery. Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say ‘What is the use?’ For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a good deal. If you march your Winter Journeys, you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin’s egg."
Apsley Cherry-Gerrard

RIP.
I'm glad your face survives in photographs, and also the images of those you lost.

Last edited by Sundae; 03-17-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote