Thread: Are you handy?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #94
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hello friends!

Time to revisit this thread. What you've seen here represents the southern exposure of my roof. But the roof has a nearly identical north side, which I've been able to ignore, and an eastern exposure that can no longer be ignored. Just as sunburned as the old southern side. I have decided to take advantage of the Labor Day weekend and labor on the roof.

I got a late start today due to a combination of procrastination and rain. Finally I got up there and started the semi-tear off. Pictures to follow, I promise. I'm too pooped to offload and upload just now.

This stretch has a similar valley, and it's in shit shape. A couple of places I was able to see into the attic. Fucking fuck. I got 90% of the tear off done then my sister and my mom showed up. I went to dinner with them, then came home to find all of my motivation gone, completely gone!

Tomorrow, *I promise*, I'll finish the tear off, and get the paper nailed down, and the edges "shingled". xoB, I reread your remarks about the difference between nailing down a series of "shingles" versus a single or even two long strips. I think the original recipe that I followed was written for three tab shingles.... That would account for how they described how to reinforce the perimeter of the area to be roofed. I think the goal is to have an extra layer of roofing material around the very perimeter. I don't think it matters if it's shingled ever nine fucking inches. I'm going to cut strips across the long axis of the roll material, giving me 36" "shingles". That will cover the ground a LOT faster, and a lot straighter. I'll still overlap it but I think this will be just as effective and more efficient.

This new section will also need a metal valley. Or not. Shit, I don't know. I might just fill the channel with some rigid expanding foam and then interleave it like before. Otherwise I'm in for a lot of cutting and a lot of fiddly bits on the one side of the valley. Also new on this phase of the project will be the replacement is "hips". Convex sections of the roof that need to be covered. I'll figure this out tomorrow. I'm rapidly running out of gas. See you all tomorrow.