View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
I worry about my retirement investments,
Stop now. You're young, you're still working, you will still be working for at least 2 if not 3 more recessions before you really need to move into retirement investment mode. A properly balanced and managed retirement account will make you nervous because of it's volatility through the years, but that is what makes it work.

Quote:
my sons college savings investments
May be valid concerns. How old is your child? Are we talking about the one year old? If so, then quit worrying and invest more into well managed growth funds after you log off the cellar - its a great day for you. If your kid is within a couple years of school then you need to go a different route.

Quote:
the market.
Do you mean the market that has made people ill with worry at their losses or the one that has gone on to set new all time highs after each recession? Hey look at that - it's the same market. Stocks have been the single best long term performer for retirement savings in every measurable time frame. Take a deep breath and actually think about what market volatility means to your everyday life. Not that much. Now remember that the talking heads on tv are reading all of their doom and gloom from a teleprompter because they don't even understand some of the words they're using. Let that deep breath out and go about your life.

Quote:
But I more worry about the US as a whole. I worry that more people will lose their jobs and lose their homes and not have health care.
Now that is a valid point. More people will lose their jobs and homes. That sucks from every angle but all you can do is what you can do - give a helping hand to those you can where you can - your community. More people without healthcare? That sucks too, fortunately there are safety net programs in place to help.

Quote:
Its going to further the divide between haves and have nots.
No it won't. The divide isn't dependent on a few dollars here and there. The divide has a stronger correlation to mindset than bank account balance. A few people have nothing. Most people have something. Some people have more. A few people have a LOT more. Don't like where you're at? Change it. You may not catch up to Bill Gates, but you might find away to remove money as a source of concern in your life.

Quote:
GWB seems to not care about the economy.
What's good old Dubya supposed to do? Lower taxes? OK, but that seems unpopular. Drop rates? Well, they are, but that is largely responsible for the mess we're in now. Greenspan completely dropped the ball the last time around. Lower rates spur inflation. Do you really want the dollar to be worth even less? The more the government tries to manipulate markets and economics the more things get screwed up. Corrections and recessions are supposed to happen. The greater distance we keep between the government and the economy, the better we'll be.

Quote:
And I have yet to understand, beyond greed, why gas prices keep rising.
The planetary demand on oil is expanding exponentially and the supply isn't increasing. The untapped sources within our control remain off limits because of fears for the environment. We have, as of yet, not found a suitable alternative energy source and the supply/demand equation has only recently made it economically desireable to develop it. Sad, but true.
Greed? Sure. Exxon and their ilk could slash their profit margins I suppose, but then they would lose investors. Then how are they going to expand and develop to keep up with demand? Oil futures are more important than the price today anyway. It is a price based on a future expectation of supply/demand. It's just harder to read from a teleprompter.

Quote:
But how long can we keep paying these prices at the pump?
You'll keep paying the price at the pump until you decide it just isn't worth it and find an alternative. Maybe ditch the FJ first for a Prius. Or maybe a Vespa. Maybe even a bicycle. Maybe you'll change the AC thermostat to 82 instead of 78. Maybe you'll just go without AC. The pain threshold will be different for each person, but it exists for each. Our automobiles and crisp cool houses aren't God given rights, they're luxuries. Just like our HDtv's. And vacations. and... get the point? It sucks but sometimes things happen that cause us to decide against a luxury. I'd like to returf the yard, but it just isn't in the budget right now. Maybe next year. Priorities.