View Single Post
Old 12-01-2001, 09:12 PM   #24
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

*looks at his t-shirt* Wow...it's made in the States...god I love Adidas!

Truth be told, I don't give much thought to that sort of thing. I don't get mad when GM and Ford take jobs to Mexico. Hell, my last car (a 1988 Chevy Caprice) was made in Ste-Therese, Quebec. When I was young and ignorant, I probably would have cared more.

Granted, I don't want to see hard-working Americans lose their jobs. When I worked in Trenton, I used to pass by the old GM plant in Ewing Township a lot. But I get so fucking sick of people who bitch about Mexicans working in hidden sweatshops in the US, and about labor going outside the US. Businesses are in it to a) offer a product and b) make money. First, those Mexicans in the US are doing work that most Americans wouldn't even THINK of doing for $5.15 an hour (or less). Secondly, those jobs going to other countries saves us money. If we kept those jobs in the States, the costs would skyrocket. We'd be paying a lot more for our cars, our gasoline, our clothes, etc. And then people would bitch about the high cost of living.

I'm not saying I like it...but it's business, baby. Not to mention, I just want to grit my teeth on occasion, given that I live in a strong pro-Union city.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote