Thread: Ads
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2002, 05:00 PM   #12
dave

So what you're talking about is a site that's set up to receive payments and forward them to charities?

I'd do it if I were sure that the payments would go toward said charity.

As a website operator, let me offer you some advice:

-Bandwidth costs a ton of fucking money for any type of decent connection <b>on a box you have control over</b>. Of course you can get decent bandwidth at some place for $20 a month, but you don't have the control that you probably want.

-You want at least 1 box, probably 2. And not pieces of shit either - you <b>want</b> a very serious server. Not like a SunFire 10000 or something, but not a piece of shit that you tossed together - name brand shit, we're talking. You don't want hardware failures to <b>ever</b> happen. You also don't want software not working with the hardware right.

-Have someone you really trust running the show. They need to be able to fix something if it breaks, and they need to know how to <b>not</b> fuck up a box while browsing around as root.

A good place to look for the hosting is <a href="http://www.rackspace.com">Rackspace</a>. They're not cheap, but they're good. If you can get the money together, you could certainly swing it. The problem is, to pay for it, you'd want to collect a certain portion of donations. To do that, you need a lot of people to donate. To get that, you need a big audience. That's the hardest part.