Thread: Machines
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #935
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I too have always done my own oil changes. From twice a year, using regular oil, in my Datsun B210 V4 ... to now annually, using full synthetic (with Z-Max additive during wintertime) in my Hyundai Sonata V6.

As BigV said, all vehicles burn some oil. The more mileage there is on the vehicle, the more wear there is on the parts. As the parts wear down, the spaces between them become larger. More oil goes into those spaces; so, more oil is burned off. A half quart or so, over 3,000-4,000 miles, on a vehicle with 100,000 miles on it is not unheard of.

Your oil change interval suggests you're using regular oil rather than synthetic. Synthetics are expensive; but, more heat stable and you may see less burn-off. Synthetics can go for longer intervals between changes too, The engine could even last longer; however, it can't be a very old model with seals that aren't compatible with synthetics and the vehicle has to have been well maintained so there isn't already a potential leak. Synthetics will clean out sludge that may be plugging an existing leak.

A compromise may be to run a High Mileage Synthetic Blend in the engine at the next oil change. Those have additives to help plump up seals like when they were newer so they won't leak. It might cut down on the burn-off loss, do just a little cleaning, and slow down further engine wear. That' s what I would do in this situation. If there's no appreciable difference, you can always go back to just regular oil.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote