View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 02:14 AM   #2520
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
"But I don't want to go back to horses, been there done that, so roads is a must."

We have an extensive road network. You think all that disappears cuz a town, a city, a region, a state, a nation goes minarchistic?
Yes, I've seen roads in PA and NJ deteriorate in 3 months so they weren't passable at more than 25 mph.

Quote:
"Fire protection is a real good idea, nice to have your house saved when your neighbor's burns down."

Sure, but does it have to be provided by gov?
Who's going to do it? I grew up with a town volunteer Fire Department who put out many grass fires around houses that burned down. It structure fires seconds count is not just a slogan. The fire department usually has an ambulance with full time EMTs. Much faster than Uber to the hospital.

Quote:
"Unemployment insurance saved my ass once, that was welcome. Over the years I paid more in than I got out, but I'm OK with that."

Why can't UI be private?
Because it becomes too fucking expensive when only a few are in it, without adding the profit margin. You know, that little item every business needs to continue.

Quote:
"Social Security? If we get rid of that a lot of old people would die and the roads less crowded."

Oh, gettin' rid of it now would be a royal pain. it's part of the weave of things. If such a thing had never been introduced, folks woulda never have come to rely on it. First step: lettin' folks opt out of it. SS is makin' with the death rattle already. An opt out would cover the current crop of recipients while telegraphin' to would-be recipients SS has a finite shelf life.
Right, they wouldn't come to rely on it, they'd just die like they used to.

Quote:
"Universal healthcare would bring the costs way down without beating up the doctors and nurses who actually take care of us. The health insurance companies would be the losers, but serves them right for driving the price up. The same thing is happening with pet health insurance, they're driving the costs up so less people will take a chance on not having it on Fido and Pussy."

Insurance shouldn't be mandatory for anything. Costs should be dynamic, determined by that old austrian debbil 'supply & demand'. And: it's not 'health care', it's medical care; it's service like any other, not a 'right'.

I've been uninsured since the ACA was laid down and I've had 'issues'. I shopped around and pinched my pennies like I do buyin' anything.
Fine when you boy is running 106 fever send out for bids.

Quote:
"Limited room & board? I don't want to see people dying or even fainting in the streets, holds up traffic you know."

Get thee to a charity, Bruce.
I don't need a charity but where do these people who do find one? thousands of people on the streets because they've no place to go. I'm not even counting the ones who prefer the street to shelters because it's safer.

Quote:

"Free college? I don't like it"

Sumthin' we agree on.
I'll bet for different reasons.

Quote:
"Room and board for all, good grief, that has never worked anywhere unless you're royalty. Peel me a grape. "

Agreed. Down on your luck? Associated Catholic Charities can help. They won't prosthelytize (too much).
OK, I googled Associated Catholic Charities. It gives me Baltimore and NYC as a footnote.
Sure is a passel of folks not close to those spots.

Quote:
"Shouldn't that be servitute, not serveitute?"

Take it up with Cato (or Brutus).
Cato or Brutus didn't write it, you did. That's why I asked you.
The internet says you're wrong but that's OK, you are used to being wrong.