View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Its just i used to think they did it for fun like a hobby or something......

Its ok though
They do/did -you don't get to be that good without massive investments of time and money -on behalf of your whole family. None of them started playing when they were 18. And you don't invest that much time and money unless you enjoy it (or have a tiger-parent)

I'm a swim/waterpolo/former hockey mom. The cost of pool time and ice time is insane. A decent hockey goalie helmet FOR A HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER is several hundred. A competition suit FOR A HIGH SCHOOL SWIMMER is a couple hundred and is only worn a couple times. Water Polo Players must travel to and play in California to get good .....at high school age.

....and my kids just do/did it for fun.....

How long should the parents keep footing the bills -which get larger and larger ....and I haven't even touched on coaching coasts........? The athletes don't have time to do regular jobs to earn the $$ to pay for their sports -their training is their 40 hours+ Companies make money off their performances, so they should be paid for the work they put in.

I may not agree with the amounts some get paid, but they should be paid. And they wouldn't be paid ridiculous amounts if the company paying them didn't reap the reward.... and they wouldn't reap the reward if we didn't pay to watch.....

wow, that was quite a sermon, huh?