View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #74
Flint
Snowflake

Yes, I'm aware there is a "my favorite version verus 4e" thing but basically this is the version I play because this is the version that the group I got invited to has the rule books for, and I really can't say I have any problem with it. Every system has a design philosophy, and every one will have differences that set them apart. It isn't a "good" versus "bad" thing--just a "different" thing.

I've heard that 4e isn't customizable enough, whereas I have seen voluminous examples that it is exponentially MORE customizable. I've heard that it is too restricted in what you are "allowed" to do with your character design. Well, we'd all like to build an undefeatable God character, but there has to be balance in the system, doesn't there? There are trade-offs. Just like in real life, you have to make design decisions which will have consequences.

I've heard that the system of rules don't allow you to use your imagination. Well, as I figure it, imagination comes from within. If you need a rulebook to "allow" your imagination, then you don't have one. Terry Bozzio tells a great story at his drum clinics about a musician that is commisioned to write a song for the King, but the King has this really restrictive set of rules about what kind of notes he can use and so forth. The moral of the story is that working WITHIN a set of rules is what ALLOWS you to let your imagination do its best work. I'm sure I haven't made the point effectively, but I assure you I have seen and experienced this in action in various aspects of my life, and have no reason to believe that a gaming system would be any different. Aside from the fact that large groups of people just don't like change of any kind and will criticize whatever is new.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote