View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Well, as for what to expect if you go... yes, you should wear black, and if there's a viewing beforehand then yes, it's officially open-casket and it has a good chance of staying open for the service. However, it will be up at the front on a slightly raised platform, and it's likely you will be unable to see the body from out in the audience (which is why they have the viewings beforehand.)

As for who should generally attend, it's usually less about who knew the dead guy and more about who knew the dead guy's relatives. Lots of people showed up at my grandmother's funeral who never knew her, but were good friends of my aunts and uncles and were there to support them. But when the friends are kids, that's a little more unusual. If I were a kid, I don't know if I'd want my classmates to see me crying at my dad's funeral. But it's hard to say. If this kid is like one of Thor's best friends, there's a possibility he should go. But if he's just an acquaintance, I think it's probably better to just send the card to the family and coach Thor on some small friendly/supportive thing to say the next time he sees his friend after the funeral.

And the friend's feelings aside, I think if Thor's feeling uncomfortable about it, he shouldn't go.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote