View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #12631
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Nice !
I will start pulling supers this weekend. Looks to be a good year.
Happy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
It became apparent late last year that my 1992 VW Passat Estate (originally Dad’s) would have to be retired, so just before Christmas I placed an order for a new car.
There was something of a waiting list and it was due to be built a week or two into March this year.

The tax and MoT on the existing wagon expired at the end of February so I declared it off road with DVLA and scrapped it a few days into March for which I was paid the princely sum of £155.
I only expected two or three weeks without a car which wasn’t any great problem.
Then the great lockdown started and my car was stuck in Germany for the duration.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to get Dad to a hospital or GP appointment but shopping was a pain in the fundament.
The local supermarket is pretty small but they use every inch of space efficiently and have been remarkable during the lockdown, but it has to be said that they don’t have everything and trips into town by train had to be endured. There’s a substantial walk at either end of the train journey which isn’t too bad if you’re not carrying shopping.

Anyway, fast forward to this week. After four months without a car I finally collected my new vehicle on Tuesday.
After what seemed an age they sorted out the paperwork, registered it with DVLA and handed me the keys.
Because of all the Covid 19 precautions I couldn’t be accompanied on a familiarisation drive so had to make my own arrangements.
Having started the thing (keyless ignition) and moved off, the first thing I did was check the brakes.

There’s no point it persuading it to move if you can’t persuade it to stop.
Having driven it a few yards to the main road I was faced with the choice of routing via the town centre or taking the longer route around the ring road.
I chose the longer route as I had no intention of making a right turn in a (very) unfamiliar vehicle.

Anyway, I got it home without any problems and drove it on a shopping trip yesterday but I think it will be a while before I am used to it.
There are bells and whistles on it of which, as yet, I do not understand the purpose, and some that I understand but am unlikely to use, but I think I’ve mastered the basics.
One particular feature that I find useful is the digital display which indicates the gear in use and gives you a ‘nudge’ when it is time to change up.

I shall now retire with the 400 page manual (I’m not joking) and reflect on a very long four months!

PS I've just realised that I composed the above without using the word 'happy'.
I am! That is all you need to know!
Happy!

You'd have thought they could have sent you the manual to read during lockdown!