Thread: Are you handy?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #100
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This section of the roof has a valley. Because of the geometry of the roof, the valley curves in two directions, upward and to the left when viewed from the uphill side. Because of this, I could not use a single piece of metal. I had to piece together a valley from individual pieces.

Pic 01: The original (now cleaned up) valley. It was in shit shape. The metal that was at the bottom paper thin, very fragile, torn and broken in many places and I could see into the attic. Not good. This pic is looking uphill at a section of the straightest part of the valley.

Pic 02: Here you can see a couple of the sections. They are galvanized steel, twelve inches square, bent into a 90 degree vee. I took one edge and pushed it under as much of the shingles I could then lifted the shingles on the other side and pushed the other edge under them. I was unconcerned about deforming the metal. The vee stayed intact in all of them, and that was the important part. Also important was the need to start at the lowest part of the valley, and shingle them as I worked my way uphill. I overlapped them by a couple inches each. I continued this process all the way up to the top of the valley.
Attached Images