View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #29
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I had a conversation with my non-binary partner and their lesbian girlfriend about SJW over-reach. My partner thought that the tampon packaging issue was an over-reach that sparked a lot of unhelpful conversation. This is a transmasc AFAB enbie saying this. Someone whom the issue is actually about thought it was over-reach.

Why do we over-reach? Because it's easy to be in an insular group where you assume everybody has a baseline understanding of an issue, and the people in that group are reaching for the next rung in the ladder, but the people NOT in that group might be one rung "down" on the ladder, and to them, that "next" step is completely un-intuitive. They likely don't have any idea what you're even talking about, and you're demanding that they parse nuance on the topic.

We all agreed that SJW over-reach can be a harmful thing (although I'm leery of the implications of making this case, and I'd never be the first to suggest it). We also all agreed that if we heard some cis white dude in a bar complain about SJW over-reach we'd be like, "ƒuck that dude!"
Boom. This, right there.