View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Ray Hits the Road, Jack

An American classic has passed today. Ray Charles, who had long been in failing health, joined the Choir Celestial today.

Ray fused the Blues into the popular American consciousness like no one else. Snarling, moaning, shouting...nobody could wrestle a song into submission like Ray. And no one could put their own indelible mark on a piece. "Georgia on My Mind" had been put to paper for over 20 years before he sang it, but when you think of that song, you probably think of Ray.

From "Wha'd I Say?" to "Hit the Road, Jack", and perhaps one of the most memorable renditions of "America the Beautiful", Ray Charles' appeal crossed barriers of race, age and nationality. His resurgence in the popular American culture following his "Blues Brothers" appearance ("Shake A Tail Feather") resulted in a string of classic Pepsi commercials, a lot of public appearances, and a whole new audience for Ray.

My mother introduced me to Ray Charles. His voice, at once gritty yet silky, will be forever engraved in my memory. Thanks for teaching me what the Blues can sound like in the hands of a master, Ray.