Thread: London Bombing
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsp
Not sure what you mean by that.

Noodle's rants kept returning to a central argument of "9 out of 10 Muslims hate us and wish we were dead." That is not only a fallacy, but a dangerous one, because what would I wager that a hell of a lot of those Muslims believe in return?

"9 out of 10 Westerners hate us and wish we were dead." (Would've said "Americans" until yesterday's attacks broadened the target circle significantly.)

How many stop and think about WHY the other side "hates" them, much less as to whether that "mass hatred" actually exists?
Oh I see; by saying "what would I wager" you admit you don't know what they think, but having "stopped and thought" what you would wager they think, you have far greater insight into the situation. Got it!

Quote:
99% of these people spouting this nonsense have never even _met_ anyone from the country or countries they're tarring.
Tarring the 99%, however, is fair game. In fact it's 9% better than Noodle's "9 out of 10." Good work that.

Quote:
That's why I twigged on the phrase "these people" in the first place, because it was an obvious euphemism for a demonization of a hell of a lot more people than the terrorists themselves, and I can't say that my instincts were wrong about that.
Quote:
Discount the evangelicals at your peril, particularly when the President and many in his administration are receptive to the This Is A Christian Nation crowd.
Hey look, there's demonization in your playbook too.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote