Thread: West Yorkshire
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #210
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I'd say about 70% is actually made up by the media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Some stories also come from misunderstandings of Health & Safety legislation, or establishments blaming it because they do not want to carry out a Risk Assessment/ get adequate insurance/ actually be bothered with the event in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Incidentally, I suspect that the term 'jobsworth' might not survive a trans-Atlantic exchange of electrons so allow me to assist.
Quote:
"Jobsworth" is a British colloquial word derived from the phrase "I can't do that, it's more than my job's worth", meaning it might lose the person their job: taking the initiative and performing an action, and perhaps in the process breaking a rule, is beyond what the person feels their job description allows.
Cool, thank you, and thanks for the jobsworth explanation. I'd posted the story here because of the proximity to Sundae's new stomping grounds and references to the bike race decorations. But since it's a bigger issue on both sides of the pond, let's stop littering Sundae's thread, thank her for being a lovely hostess, and take it over here... or over there.