View Single Post
Old 08-16-2002, 11:35 AM   #9
Tobiasly
hot

Sure, I'd be interested in reading your resources X, although something tells me they'll be one-sided.

We must also not forget that it's impossible to isolate a particular period of time and say "this was caused by this". Let's not forget the whole Cold War thing that was going on at the same time, where it was vital to demonstrate to the Soviets that they couldn't maintain the same level of war resources that we could. Also, the fact that spending increased is not solely attributable to the President, as I'm sure you're well aware.

There were good and bad aspects of Reagan's economic policies, to be sure. I've read very good (one-sided) arguments on both sides of the issue. And since I'm no economist, I still may be mixing my terms.. my point is that entrepreneurs must be given as much of an opportunity as possible to create jobs, because <B>they are the only ones who can</B>. The government doesn't create jobs, and policies don't create jobs.

Some people want to tax the rich at a ridiculous level, because "no one needs any more than X amount to live well". A <B>70%</B> marginal individual income tax rate? That's insane. At that rate, Mr. Factory Owner has no incentive to expand his company, because by the time Uncle Sam takes 70% of whatever else he earns, it's just not worth it. So instead of reinvesting that money in some new endeavor that will create jobs, he saves it or invests it in some more attractive way.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote