Thread: Random Pics
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #1742
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm looking at the striations in the rocks near the peaks of the mountains there, I see horizontal-ish lines highlighted by the snow, apparently layers of rock laid down first. Then the vertical-ish fractures, like knife cuts through the layers of rock making thick slices leaning to the left of the highest peak. The talus covered slopes in the foreground were all part of the higher elevations at one time and crumbled away forming the base of the mountain.

Of course, no knife cut through the stacks of layers of rock.

These patterns were made when the layers of rock we see were all continuous and flat and horizontal. Then titanic forces pushed upward producing the elevation and fracturing we see here.

I've been moving some concrete around the yard for some projects. I'm breaking up the anchoring of a gate frame and I'm arranging some blocks. Some of the material is literally too heavy for me to lift, I can barely move it to get a good swing at it to chip away at the surface in an effort to make it small and light enough to maneuver. The key word here is "effort". That stuff is really heavy. It boggles my mind to try to conceive of the forces that raise up mountains of that material.

Awesome.