View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Not every child is cut out for sports, just as every child isn't cut out to be a rocket scientist.
I'm trying to teach Lil Lookout that one right now. Actually I've been trying but with only mild success up until this week. He came home in absolute awe of a girl in his class. He saw her drawings and he spoke about them for two days straight (might have something to do with the girl too). Her dogs look like dogs, her houses look real, her trees... you get the point. That night he pulled his own drawings out and just set them on the table. Mrs L promptly walked by and said, "wow, that's a nice shark you drew." Nice praise, but the problem is that he drew a California Sea Lion, not a shark.

That led to some tears about how he stinks at drawing and there's something wrong with him. Now up to this point if you handed the kid a pencil and blank paper, within minutes you'd see a very detailed soccer field and a game appear before your eyes. He isn't the most creative kid - his mother says he gets his one track mind from me.

Anyway, it really upset him that he was deficient in this area. I think it finally clicked for him when I asked if the girl could score a 30 foot goal with either foot. He quickly answered, "no, she doesn't like soccer but she probably could if she'd try". *dingdingding* By the end of it he had accepted if not embraced the idea that she excelled at art while he did at soccer because that is what they were interested in enough to practice in their free time.

i still think the whole thing was about the girl, though.