View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #24
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I was very proud of my younger brother this summer. He coached his 8 year old daughter's baseball team. He said at the onset he wants them to enjoy themselves, and perhaps walk away with some knowledge of the basics. He accomplished that, and got kudos from many parents for his approach. Believe it or not, he did encounter a team that was all about winning (they're EIGHT!) At a couple points, kids would be away on family vacation, and he would bring my 6 year old niece and a couple other kids up from "T-ball" to play. Yes, my friends, the 6 year olds were going to the Show!

That to me is what sports for the younger crowd are all about. If the child finds he has mad skillz and, most importantly, enjoys playing then he now has yet another option in his quest for who he wants to be.

But if Johnny stands in left field catching butterflies and documenting sightings for his journal, that's OK too.

Not every child is cut out for sports, just as every child isn't cut out to be a rocket scientist. My family is all about sports and very competitive, but my brother didn't bring that to his coaching experience: Molly could be Molly and Sherry could be Sherry and no one was expected to be anything they were not...just get out there and see if you like it!

On the other hand, I feel we should encourage kids who show a real aptitude, whether it's on the field or in a classroom, but not at the exclusion of kids who just enjoy participating.

And if Johnny is in High School and is still chasing butterflies in left field, perhaps Johnny should be allowed to pursue other interests.