View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Mar 11, 2009: The Bailout

I received these pictures and the accompanying text via email, with nothing to identify the original author. Since it was so well done I am going to copy it here, and the author can make themselves known if they wish. The cellar will only let me do four pics at a time so this will have to be over two posts.

The Bailout

All this talk about "stimulus packages" and "bailouts"...

A billion dollars...

A hundred billion dollars...

Eight hundred billion dollars...

One TRILLION dollars...

What does that look like? I mean, these various numbers are tossed around like so many doggie treats, so I thought I'd take Google Sketchup out for a test drive and try to get a sense of what exactly a trillion dollars looks like.

We'll start with a $100 dollar bill. Currently the largest U.S. denomination in general circulation. Most everyone has seen them, slighty fewer have owned them. Guaranteed to make friends wherever they go.

Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 11074
Size:  31.4 KB

A packet of one hundred $100 bills is less than 1/2" thick and contains $10,000. Fits in your pocket easily and is more than enough for week or two of shamefully decadent fun.

Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 10903
Size:  24.4 KB

Believe it or not, this next little pile is $1 million dollars (100 packets of $10,000). You could stuff that into a grocery bag and walk around with it.

Name:  image003.jpg
Views: 10816
Size:  5.5 KB

While a measly $1 million looked a little unimpressive, $100 million is a little more respectable. It fits neatly on a standard pallet...

Name:  image004.jpg
Views: 10805
Size:  10.7 KB