View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Exactly.

If these teams had a good coach they might say something to this effect in my mind.

"OK team, we know this is going to be a tough one. Little Johnny over there has one awesome arm. Maybe we'll even see him in the majors one day, but for now, it's our job to try and win this game somehow. Now I know it might be tough, but he's their only great player, whereas we're a team. A T.E.A.M right? Maybe we wont get a run on the board, but if we work as a team, maybe we can stop them getting a run either. Maybe we can't pitch him out - although I think Little Jimmy is a great pitcher too - but if we work together, we can field them out right? RIGHT? So who's with me???"

Where's the challenge in teaching kids that if you can't beat someone the way you usually do, you just give up. It doesn't encourage broader thinking and it doesn't teach kids about teamwork. Only that individual brilliance can't be beaten in a team situation. If your kid's in a team sport, they need to learn team work. I think that's generally the point.